Note: This is a temporary workaround while the Shopventory team works to get a more elegant, purpose-built solution to tracking food expiration.
Enter each lot as a separate variant
This way, every time you receive a lot, you can label it in Shopventory. This way, your inventory would look a bit like this:
- Employees will have to be trained to select the oldest lot first when checking out a customer (assuming you want to sell first-in—first-out).
- Every time a lot is received, simply create a new variant.
- Once a variant reaches a zero quantity, it can be deleted. Shopventory will still have all the Inventory History and Sales History in the Reports.
If you have to dispose of a lot that has expired, you have 2 options:
- "Sell" the units for $0.00. — That will count the losses on the Sales Report.
- Deduct the inventory using the "Actions" button on the Products & Variants page. That will count the edits on your Inventory Change Report.
This workaround would require you to update Bundles every time a lot is received, so it's not recommended if you have a lot of different Bundle recipes. You can still do it, it's just a lot of work.
Let us know if you'd like to receive updates on a dedicated expiration dates function. Just start a chat and one of our Customer Care Team members can tag your email.