Bulk Upload is used for mass inventory updates via a Google Sheets® spreadsheet. It is helpful for initially setting up a large inventory or for making large-scale changes to existing inventory.
There are different options depending on what changes you'd like to make.
*Available on Standard, Professional, and Elite plans*
Accessing Bulk Upload
The Bulk Upload page is located in the "Actions" button on the Items & Variants page:
The Bulk Upload Process
Select your option (see below) and then Shopventory will automatically generate a Google Sheets® spreadsheet for you to edit. You may copy/paste from an external spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel, Numbers, or LibreOffice.
Once you have made your changes, you can submit the spreadsheet to upload it into Shopventory.
(The submit link is found at the top of column D in the spreadsheet,
don't forget that 2nd click)
Bulk Upload Options
Create Items and Variants
- Create new items and variants in a spreadsheet.
- Assign SKU and barcodes, set location-specific prices, costs, and inventory quantities.
- Edit existing items in a spreadsheet.
- Allows editing item name, categories, description (plain-text only), and shipping information.
- Edit exiting variants in a spreadsheet.
- Allows editing variant name, SKU, and barcode, as well as location specific price, default cost, and inventory quantities.
Edit or Reconcile Inventory Quantities
- Edit inventory quantities and default costs at each location for each variant.
- Inventory counts will be adjusted to match the spreadsheet.
- Fields can be left blank to skip importing costs or quantities for a variant/location. No changes will be registered for blank fields.
- NOTE: An item must be enabled at all selected locations in order to appear on this spreadsheet.
- Receive inventory for each variant at each location.
- Quantities received will be added to existing quantities. (For example, if I had 10 on the shelf and receive 5 via this Bulk Upload option, my total is 15)
- Fields can be left blank to skip receiving any quantities.
Create Purchase Orders
- Create purchase orders for any location.
- This will create a draft purchase order for each location selected.
- Fields can be left blank to skip adding quantities to the created purchase orders.
- Create vendors that can fulfill Purchase Orders at your locations.
- A vendor will be created and associated with your selected locations.
- This will only create the Vendor entry.
- Items still have to be assigned to their corresponding Vendors in the Vendors page on Shopventory. Learn more
Things to remember:
- Images cannot be added via Bulk Upload. Google's spreadsheet API only allows for text-based information.
- No Google account is required.
- Uploads cannot be undone! Make sure you read descriptions closely before proceeding as there is no option to undo.
- If you're having issues with leading Zeros disappearing or SKU/Barcode numbers being converted to scientific notation, check out this article: Spreadsheet Bulk Upload Issues
- The Bulk Edit Inventory Quantities option will overwrite whatever is there. It's not recommended if sales are actively going through during the upload.
- If you are using any of the EDIT options at multiple locations, then only items enabled at every selected location will appear on the spreadsheet for editing.
- To create multiple Categories, separate each Category using a comma (e.g.: "Category 1, Category 2, etc.)
- All errors displayed on import must be corrected before Shopventory can import the spreadsheet.